Knocking on Heaven’s Door

KAS1N0 - Kent, Washington
Themes: afterlife, family

It is so amazing how fast a life can end. In my twenty-seven years here on earth I have lost both of my grandmothers and grandfathers, aunts and uncles, and even some friends. But the death that affected me the most would be my brothers.

My brother was a good man; two kids, same girlfriend for something like fifteen years, a pretty good job, and the biggest heart a man could ever have. My fondest memory of him is when he was drumming on the steering wheel of his car to Guns n’ Roses’ “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” which was played at his funeral also. You would have never guessed that he was addicted to heroin.

My brother was clean from drugs for a couple years before he actually overdosed. His life was going quite well, so him and his lifelong girlfriend decided to finally get married. They went and bought plane tickets to Vegas without telling anyone and eloped. They were gone for the weekend and came back and told everybody. Of course, we were all surprised being that they were together for so long. They didn’t want a honeymoon or any kind of gifts for that matter; they just wanted to celebrate one last time, with heroin.

It was on December 18th, 1994; one week before Christmas that my brother’s new wife called my parents and let them know that their son, only twenty-eight years old, never woke up. It wasn’t at this time that I realized what I believe today, my eyes have been opened much more recently.

My auntie just recently passed away from cancer, also a couple weeks before Christmas. The thing is, right before she passed away she said something to my cousin, that she was ready to go see her husband Glen, her mom and dad Walt and Rose, and the one that touched me the most, my brother Terry. It was at this time that I came to believe in one of the most powerful things that I will maybe ever believe in.

I’m not a very religious person but I now believe that there is something after life, and that I will be with all my loved ones someday. Earth is just a place to meet the ones that you really want to spend eternity with. From the day we are born we are all knocking on heaven’s door; and when your eyes get to dark, to dark to see, just remember that you will soon be seeing much more love than you could ever see in this world. They are up there, somewhere, waiting for you, just like you will be waiting for the ones that will be missing you.