The Power, beauty and necessity of digressions

Curren - Vista, California

I believe in digressions. I believe that the world has become too self involved and worried about material items or trivial concerns that it cannot see the beauty in the simple things. Everyone worries too much what color their hair is, or what kind of laptop they are going to get at the end of the year. I’m no preacher, I’m guilty of this malpractice too, but I take time to digress in life. I believe that digressions will lead to greater knowledge, compassion, enjoyment, and humanity. Too many people stress out all the time about nonsense, they get bent everyday when some new task appears such as homework, tests, college, career, etc. People don’t take the time to step back from their monotony of a life to evaluate the true presence and beauty of what is occurring around them. I believe digressions hold the key to viewing life.

I remember some of my most vivid memories derive from digressions. I was a sophomore and life couldn’t seem to get any more awesome for me. I was trying to study for some ridiculous vocabulary exam that I couldn’t commit to memory so I stepped back and just sat and stared for a good twenty minutes. In that twenty minutes my life appeared to flash before my eyes. All of the joys, mistakes, and hardships I had experienced seemed to make sense in the greater scheme of life at that moment. It was that moment that changed my life. After that twenty minutes I watched a movie that changed my life through the music within. Without this digression, who knows what I would be like today. So from that moment until now, if I get too overwhelmed I set aside time to digress. Now, music is my form of digression. It allows me to escape from the pressure of social life and view and appreciate the beauty, the life and existence of other creatures, ideas, and people.

I believe that digressions reveal true life to individuals. Digressions allow people to wake up from themselves and appreciate the world, the environment, the universe and its collective mysteries that surround life. Digressions allow people, especially students, to see that what is happening now IS life. Life doesn’t start when you turn 21 or when you get your first big job or promotion. Life is now, it was then, and it’s tomorrow. Life is every second, every thought, every tear, every frustration that appears in the average week or month. I believe digressions allow individuals to slow down and understand that life is every conscious moment. Digressions allow individuals to remember that there is more to life than the computers, the jobs, and the stress that accompanies the daily routine of many individuals. I believe digressions reveal the true substance of life. Digressions fill the days with enjoyment, escape, and new knowledge that would not be discovered before. I wouldn’t know that my teacher was going to see the police or that my teacher likes to play poker or street race on the weekends without digressions.

I believe in the power of digressions. To me, digressions bring enjoyment to life, the ability to see the power of humanity, the beauty in creation, and the need to live today and not later. Life is now, digressions allow individuals to put death on hold in order to try to comprehend and appreciate the life that has been given to them. Without digressions, life would be full of phonies who can’t appreciate a nice sunset or good song. I believe that digressions have the power to save lives; digressions give the individual time to value his or her life before he or she has to give it all up. I believe this essay was a digression, my mind is a digression, my life is a digression, and you know what? I love it.