Second Chances, Forgiveness, and Love

Caitlyn - Amherst, Virginia
Themes: forgiveness

Everyone should be entitled to forgiveness and a second chance. This will allow the person to correct the mistakes made in the first incident and start fresh. When I say this, I mean a second chance to better not only your life, but someone else’s. I mostly believe a person should have a second chance at love.

At the beginning of my junior year in high school I was dating this great guy. He was kind, sweet, and loving. I thought we would be together for a long time and so did he. All of my friends liked him and so did my family. Everyone thought we were perfect for each other. I can honestly say that I loved him, as a friend and as a boyfriend.

Over Christmas break he came with me and my family to my grandmother’s house. By then we had been dating for almost three months. He got along great with all of my relatives. I loved spending time with him. Too bad this image soon ended.

A few days before I was to return to school, I received a text message from this guy that was my friend and also dating one of my friends. He said that he liked me and that he wanted to go out with me. He knew I was dating someone else and I told him that I really cared for my boyfriend, but he insisted that he had to be with me. I do not completely understand what happened next. All of a sudden I was real confused about everything that was going on in my life. Something suddenly came over me and I did not know what it was. (And I still don’t.)

The first day back from Christmas break I broke-up with my boyfriend and started dating this other guy. I do not know what made me do it, but I wish I did. I know it must have been a shock, to my now ex-boyfriend, because everything between us was perfect; we had not even had our first fight.

Soon I started dating the other guy and three weeks later, he broke up with me. I was heart-broken. At first I thought it was because of the break-up, but then I realized that was not it at all. I was heart-broken because I had broken up with an amazing guy, who would have done anything for me, for a total jerk.

When I broke-up with my ex-boyfriend he was devastated. How do I know this? His best friend told me. I was devastated as well. I had made a major mistake that could not be reversed. Now that I have seen what I have done to him, and how I still feel about him, I want a do-over, a second chance. I did not know it at the time, but this guy made me complete. (And I am not just saying that. He really did.)

My ex-boyfriend and I are now friends. As for me and “the jerk,” not so much talking between us. I have asked my ex-boyfriend if he would give me a second chance, but I think all we will ever be now is friends.

I believe in second chances and the power of love. I think everyone in this world should have one second chance at love, or a do-over where they can correct all of the mistakes they made. If this were true, I would still be with this great and wonderful guy who is perfect for me and my life would be close to perfect.