The Underdog

Prateek - Miami, Florida

I believe in the power and the exultance and the survival of the common man. When an individual is put up against daunting task, I have the reason to believe that the entire world conspires to permit the man accomplish his dreams. After all, what lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are small things compared to what lies within us. Living my life through these ideals has taught me that there will always be people that will continue to attack in different angles.

Spending time in three different countries throughout my life has pitted me against many hurdles and decisions. Along the way, I know that I have made mistakes but the truth is that if I was given the opportunity to replay these moments, I would make these same mistakes again, because those are the reasons that make me who I am. And it’s not just the world against you philosophy that fuels my soul, rather it is my failures and successes and successes as well. I can still pin point the exact date when I was duly rejected from prestigious middle school for being too shallow and intellectually inferior as they had bluntly put it. Only I knew about the brevity of the situation and the pressure that fell on me to overcome these harsh criticisms I had just been showered with. This I believe was the day; I made it my mission in life to maximize any opportunity handed to me and turn over a new leaf. The rejection, instead of sending me into depression served as my spark. Failure was my motivation and not surprisingly I was called by the same school next year to join them. Of course, it was now my turn to turn them down, but fortunately for me, once I accomplished this vengeance, my zest and keenness didn’t diminish. Instead of relishing the happy moment in life, I sought to think about the people who said that I deserved not to get in. I had been through a lot during that time: scrutiny, adversity, naysayers, but I realized I have begun to care less about what people may be saying on the outside. The truth is that when no one believes in you anything you do is a positive. The lack of pressure to perform in big moments really elevated my performance.

The creation of a unique dogma, a new set of rules is what makes a person worthy of remembering. No one remembers the mundane and the old, the traditional. What people will remember for years to come is innovation. I believe that paths are not meant to be followed, they are meant to be made, leaving trails for others to follow.

And in a day and age where man’s reach exceeds his imagination, I know that one day my beliefs may turn into actuality. Life should be lived to the fullest, and every man must make it his mission in life to be worthy. Regardless of whether they actually accomplish the goal, merely attempting to do so will raise the bar higher for our future generations. I don’t believe in pressure, I don’t believe in what people might say, why do I step onto the field? To prove that I am the best…