Being A Minority

Hayat - Hopkins, Minnesota

I believe that dreams are not always what you want them to turn out to be. As a 15 yr. old Somali-American girl I dream of being a very profoundly successful Muslim girl who can achieve anything when I put my mind to it. Coming from a country where you are the minority does not make me change who I am or who I want to be.

Every time I am out in public I can always tell when people are looking at me and automatically judging me as if I was the worst thing that happened to this world. Having to know so many people coming from different races and nationalities makes me feel like I am where I’m supposed to be. I always dreamed that one point in my life, I would go out in public and won’t be seen as the minority.

Being born in a place where thousand people die everyday haunts and persuades me to be unique and morose. Being a Somali-American girl encourages me to go out there and become who I want to be. Leaving my home country and coming to America at a young age makes me feel like I should be proud of who I am and strive to do my best. Going to a school where you are surrounded with different cultures, ethnicities, races, religions makes me feel welcome. Going to a class where I am the only Somali Muslim girl makes me feel superior. Some days I find myself defending America but on other days I defend Somalia. Having to be raised in a culture where you are being treated as if you belong to two nations makes me feel proud of who I am.

I believe that our world today is a place where everyone judges others by what they are on the outside as opposed to judging them on the inside. I would do everything in my power to erase all of the negativity in our society’s lives. I would do everything to ignore those who make me feel different and awkward when I walk the streets of my hometown. If I ever go back home, I would do everything in my power to not judge the minorities of my homeland.

My parents taught me to be proud to be who you are. They also told me that I would always be filled with diverse cultures and for that they said I should never regret it. This, I am proud to do.