Jack,My Friend My Hero

Mario - dalton, Georgia

Sometimes in life we are struck by tragedy with out warning.While I was recovering from brain injury.I met a very special personby the name of Jack,who led me to believe that ordinary people can be heoes. In 2006 I suffered a brain aneurysm rupture.Which left me with paralysis on my left side of my body,that left me unable to walk.I was conscious but the left side of my body was not working.I could not cry because there were no more tears to give.All I could here were the machines that were hooked up to me.”beep,beep,beepand the nurses and doctors giving orders for antibioticsand more morphine. God i was scared.Not like my first day of school but terrified of death. My family cried and consoled me,but all i could do was pray and think negative thoughts not a good combination.Then,this short stocky guy comes in and says”are you ready to get started”?Ilooked at him like he was crazy.”who are you”?I asked he told me,”i’am Jack your physical therapist.we are going to to get you started on getting you walking agian.Then he said ,”have patience and it willcome back to you. “Confidence is what I need”,thats what i told him. Confidence is what he showed me. I remember telling him”Walter Payton is my favorite football player since Iwas a kid”.He used that as in example and told me that i had to be like Walter Payton,toughand courageous.He started me out slow for a while ,but made it gradually harder.It took patience and determination.Ifinally walked enough to go to Siskin Rehabilitation Hospital for a month.After amonth,I got and began my outpatient program which lasted about 3 months .Even when I was in outpatient Jack would stop by and visit. In my experiance,I know that there are people out there that careabout people like myself.I know Iam not half the man Walter Payton was,but Jack made me feel just as important as Walter.Jack not only nade me a better person physically ,but also mentally.Jack would tellme prove them wrong,that used to fire me up and iwould do extra of everything.Ithink of Jack from time to time and wonder how he is doing .I walk alot better now .People sometimes tell me “you walk better than you used to.Igot my G.E.D and now attend college.I certainly believe ordinary people can be heroes.