I Believe That Everything Relates To A Song

Josh - Vista, California

Everything Relates To a Song

I believe that everything in the world relates to a song. Every emotion, every idea, every conflict, every joyous time in a persons life remind a person of a song they heard at one time. It is obvious that this is the case because people play music at every event. Weddings, funerals, birthdays, worship, anything and every thing that impacts a persons life, has a song that can be played along with it to enhance the lives of the people that take the time to listen

I can’t even recall how many times I have been in awe over a piece of music because of the amount of emotion I feel when listening to it. I do remember one time though, about a month ago, I was playing a gig with a couple guys from my church at the beach. We where just jamming, nothing was rehearsed, but somehow our music impacted people, namely these 3 random musicians that where at the beach. One by one they each came up and asked to jam with us. Everyone from Bongo Bob, this homeless hand drum player, to this musical prodigy from Julliard, everyone played and no one cared about who they playing with. I believe that this is because music transcends the physical qualities of humanity and brings out something deeper in each of us.

I am not sure why this is the case. I think it has to do with something spiritual, something inside us that can’t be explained in one 500 word essay. The way I have come to think of it is as a personification of God. I think if someone is looking for a physical manifestation of God, they need not look any farther then the notes on a piece of music. Because inside those notes are information about humanity on a spiritual level. Just like in great literature or great poetry, composers have a definite message to communicate in their music. I believe it is the job of every musician, and every other person who has ever listened to a piece of music, to decipher and understand these messages.

Pat Metheny once said that “While I acknowledge that my primary function on Earth is to be a musician, I also see that music is nothing more than the essential component of humanity – it is all the same material. My feeling is that the more I can learn about music, the more I learn about other things.” This quote has become my mindset as I progress in my understanding and admiration of music.

I believe that by dedicating my life to music, I’ve dedicated my life to relating everything I see and do to a song. I think it is my job as a musician to constantly find parallels between my life and the music I create and I think that if can’t find an already written that communicates what I am feeling, it is my job as an artist to create one. Because it’s all the same thing, like Metheny said, music “is nothing more than the essential component of humanity.”