Live Each day Like It Was Your Last

Amber - Hilliard, Ohio
Themes: setbacks

I’ve lived by this quote since March 26, 2008. That day I realized how easy, and quick, someone’s life could be taken away. It is a perfectly good motto to live by. Why doubt everything you do, and second-guess everything, when in as little as ten minutes, you could be gone. Life is worth so much more then what some people think. A lot of people don’t realize how important life really is until they go through a life-changing experience. And on March 26th, I went through my own life changing experience. My life changing experience was when I attempted suicide.

When someone thinks about someone who has attempted suicide, they immediately think they’re some morbid person who doesn’t like life. But, I loved life. Most of the time. The only negative thing about my life was I loved fighting. And unfortunately, so did my father, which caused more problems then one between us. I don’t know what was so different about the fight in March compared to my other fights, but when I went to my room, the thought just came to my head. And with my father’s specific instructions saying that I couldn’t be on the phone, I was alone, without anyone to change my mind.

A friend of mine ended up calling my phone, asking my sister to check up on me. She did, and that’s when she noticed what happened. She quickly started freaking out, and told our grandmother. Her actions were a little more calm and recollected, as she called 911. The seven hours after that were a blur to me. All I know was my actions didn’t sink into my head until I was at the Psychiatric Ward at our Campus hospital. I didn’t know what to think; what do you think about that? If my sister hadn’t come in, my life would have been gone, and I wouldn’t experience all those high school memories that you’re supposed to remember forever.

It was then, sitting in my room that was given to me, that I started to believe in that quote. It was scribbled under the windowsill, and ever since then I’ve followed it. And now, I don’t let stupid high school drama get to me, they’re just words, and if I know I’m not what they’re calling me, that’s all that matters. Also, if I’m asked to try something, legal, I’m not scared, or hesitant, if it’s safe, I’ll do it. Life is about living. But, no one knows when something might happen and take it all away. Don’t live life with regrets, and act like tomorrow doesn’t exist. It’s only today, and that’s it.