This I believe

Dante - Brooklyn Center, Minnesota

Every summer I have focused on techniques and abilities of my basketball skills. I always focus on something that was a weakness, or a skill that I would like to develop for the next season. Ever since I was a kid playing basketball, my left hand has always been a weakness and something that I have always worked on. My favorite way to make my left hand better is to find a pick up game with kids that had never played with me and play as if my left hand was my dominant hand. I wanted them to be shouting “Force him to his right.” Once I heard this I knew that I was becoming closer to being that ambidextrous basketball player that I always wanted to be. I make it a goal every summer to get into the gym for at least 5 days a week, not including my summer team. For me making this large of a commitment to basketball is not a nuisance because I love the sport of basketball and I know that by working hard during the summer I am making myself better along with my team, gives me a great feeling. There has never been a day in my life where I didn’t wish I were on the basketball court. There has never been a time where I was playing basketball and I didn’t want to be there. When someone feels like this, or that they are being forced to doing something it shows that they don’t really love what they are doing and they should stop. There have been times when I was on teams where there were kids who would come to practice and games complaining about not wanting to be there. This really pisses me off because the negativity spreads throughout the team. There was a game this year against a rival that only a small number of us believed we could beat. It’s almost impossible to win sports games when a team doesn’t have the confidence in themselves that they are going to win. As the game started we started off badly and fell into a large deficit. Then we started playing well, and the game was completely even from that point. We ended up losing by a few less points than the difference from when we started playing well. If everyone had came into the game with confidence we wouldn’t have had the bad start and the game could have had a positive outcome.

Throughout my life I have activities that I got enjoyment out of and stuck with it. I have tried to find a way to make myself better at those activities. Freshman and sophomore year I played football but did not to participate this year, because I realized that I was one of those kids that were annoying to me for when I play basketball. I believe that it’s important that people find something that they truly enjoy and devote themselves to that.