anna - corona del mar, California

I believe in mistakes. I believe in second chances, in taking chances, in believing in believing. I believe that the decisions you make today do NOT have to shape the person you are tomorrow. I believe that life is a journey and one must not judge his neighbor for he may end up walking the same treacherous path, wearing his same shoes in the days to come. The answer to our questions comes from within, I believe in people.

Too many times I’ve seen that condescending look on the careless man’s face as he skiddishly walks past the lost, jobless man on the sidewalk. Too many times I’ve seen the whispers generated as a pretty, young-looking girl walks by with a bump in her belly. The words on the peoples’ lips form “Look honey, that little girl’s a sinner.” Or the thoughtless comments about the chained, tattoed man, dismounting his Harley. At times I want to flat out scream “Do you really know that man? Can you really make any assumptions about who he is as a person, or that girl or that poor man on the street? You have no idea how that poor man came to this place in his life!” Who is anyone to judge anyone else when they are never more than a few steps, ideas, choices, even events away from being in their same shoes, good or bad. And who is really the ultimate authority on what is good and what is bad? After all, we all are just people, made out of the same stuff, remember? The band Everlast states this idea nicely in a song called What It’s Like, “I’ve seen a rich man beg, I’ve seen a good man sin, I’ve seen a tough man cry, I’ve seen a loser win, And a sad man grin, I heard an honest man lie, I’ve seen the good side of bad, And the down side of up, And everything between.” This song illustrates the simplified, basic idea not to point fingers at other people when you, like Everlast says, “Don’t know what it’s like.” No one is perfect, we are all different and this is what is beautiful. The saying, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” gets old, but I heard on the radio the other day that, “The most beautiful day in the world is the day that you realize that you are the beholder.”

There is a quote “The choices you make today shape the person you are tomarrow.” I never really liked this idea until I looked at it in a very short-termed way. It does say tomarrow, I mean it’s not like it says “for the rest of your life.” But, I re-arranged this quote and decided that this was a lot more inspirational. “Don’t let the choices you make today represent the person you were yesterday,” because I believe in second chances and I believe that decisions you made yesterday do not make you who you are today. You determine who you are everyday, only you can do that. This is all resting in the palm of your hands. I believe in change and I believe in people.

My idea is not to encourage the mindset of doing whatever you feel like today, knowing that you can simply fix it tomarrow, it is only to show that you can change the path you are on. If you are heading to a place that you do not find displays your greatest potential, you can develop that fork and take the higher road. Life is a journey, but no one ever said this journey was easy. Mistakes are inevitable. A beautiful songwriter

Ben Harper once said, “Take your face out of your hands, and clear your eyes, you have a right to your dreams, and don’t be denied. I believe in a better way”