I Believe in Sports

Caitlin - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Themes: sports, work

I Believe in Sports

I believe in being involved in sports. “Champions aren’t made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them- a desire, a dream, a vision.” –Muhammad Ali.

Sports are a big part of my life, especially when I’m playing. Wherever I am, on the court or the track, it makes no difference. Just by playing the game, I am satisfied. It was our serve, the whistle blew, and the playing began. Eagerly I waited for the other team’s attempt to kill the ball down, hoping we wouldn’t retrieve it back to them. Well here’s a little tip you should know about volleyball: Do not let the ball drop, no matter what. Fight for it.

Here we go, the set, and the kill. Get ready…BOOM! Krista made an amazing dig and we sent it over in the far back corner. The tension built up inside and we could hear cheering all around us. We continued to hustle and didn’t take our eyes off the ball. Now it was number 6, massively tall and intimidating on the court. But by no means, that didn’t fool me one bit. Mel and I went up for the block, 1…2…3…BAM! Blocked, deflected, rejected.

The rush and thrill when I play volleyball is one of the best feelings in the world for me. When I’m playing I feel like I can be whoever I want to be and put all I’ve got onto the court right there and then. I fail and fail over and over again, but it still doesn’t stop me from trying. Even if I am having a bad day, or things aren’t the greatest in my life, I can take it out on the ball or forget about everything and just play. The way I look at it is winning isn’t everything. Knowing that I have succeeded makes all the difference.

I can really say that volleyball is truly one of the biggest parts of my life, and it just wouldn’t be the same without it. We all have our dreams in life, so go big and fulfill them to your greatest ability.

“All I want out of life is that when I walk down the street folks will say, ‘There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived.’” –Ted Williams.

I believe in volleyball.