My Body

Tara - Kokomo, Indiana

My body is one of the most beautiful things in all creation. My body is strong, lean, flexible and tone. My body is healthy. My body has metamorphasized from random union of intricate germ cells. My body is a masterpiece, a miracle. My body houses my spirit, my thoughts, me. My body allows me to express myself with words, songs, dances, hugs and the spectrum of kisses. My body has conceived three beautiful children, carried three beautiful children, borne three beautiful children, nursed three beautiful children. My body tends to my three beautiful children. I hope one day my body will give me a fourth child. My body has power. My body has the power to connect with my husband on every level in one moment of time. My body is his passion. My body is my obsession.

I have abused my body, over extended my body, deprived my body of proper nourishment and hydration. I have over fed my body, I have filled my body with junk, and junk food. I’ve used my body for good and noble purposes, helping disabled children, walkathons, and giving a gentle touch at the right time. I’ve used my body for sin. I’ve pampered my body, exercised my body, exhausted and rested my body. My body has never experienced chronic pain, incongruously new to the body. My body has not experienced threatening illness. My body functions as it should. My body has served me well. My body serves me well.

One day my body will betray me, my body will fail–my body will die. Without my body, how can I be me? Without my body, how could I receive love, express love? Without my body I will no longer be able to enjoy touch, gaze upon my children, garden, hear music, or enjoy a meal with a friend. I am promised a new body one day, a new body that won’t fail, an eternal body. I don’t know how that body will function or suit me, what it will look like or feel to touch, if it will enjoy the warmth of sunshine or need rest. I suppose my new body will be greater than the body I have now. My new body might have senses that do not dull with time and skin that does not age. I doubt my new body would ever need a bath or have a sore neck. I don’t have my eternal body now; I have the only body I know, the only body my husband has known.

My body has made me feel self conscious and insecure, my body has made me feel radiant and beautiful. I love my body. I hate my body. I will love my body. I will care for my body. I will learn to love my body more. I do not want to hate my body. I will likely continue to demand more of my body that it wants to give. The better I care for my body, the better my body serves me. The better I care for my body, the better I like my body, the better I like myself. My body is my most valuable possession, a God-given possession, my only real possession. This I believe.