In This Skin

Danielle - Montgomery, Minnesota

Why can’t we all just get along? To me, there is no black and white, brown and purple or whatever color you can name. You can always find good in a person, whether you like them or not. So, why look at someone’s skin color when you’re determining whether they are worthy or not? Everyone should be valued for who they are on the inside, not the outside.

It’s not fair to judge someone by their outer appearance. I’ve always been against racism. It’s one issue that I’m very concerned with. A few of my friends are fom other cultures and races, and they are some of the coolest people I know. I’ve learned so much about their culture, background, history, beliefs, ideas, and values. It’s interesting to learn how my culture differs from theirs. It’s like a whole new learning experience you don’t get at school. I believe everyone deserves a chance for respect. People don’t have the option to choose who who they or where they came from. That’s why I don’t see how people can be so judgemental when it comes to race. I hear about racial incidences in the news and even in my own neighborhood. At school, I hear racial slurs being thrown around. It’s honestly sickening. It’s not right , either, when one or a couple people from a particular racial group does something and then people place a stereotype on the whole population of that race. Next time you hear, “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” take it into consideration.

If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.