Flowers

Kelsey - Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

I believe in flowers. I believe flowers can be used as communication. For example, if you give someone pink roses, it symbolizes grace and happiness, while giving poppies symbolizes consolation. Flowers often bring joy to people, and receiving flowers is often much appreciated. On Valentines Day, it is traditional to give the person you love red roses, which of course communicates true love.

Flowers also hold many memories for people. When I was a toddler, my grandpa sent my younger sister and me tulip bulbs for us to plant. He has been dead for about three years, and right now the tulips are in full bloom. Those tulips bring back lots of memories when I see them. Lilacs, on the other hand, are very important to my grandma. She used to live on a farm and they had lots of lilac bushes around the house, but she had to sell the farm and move into a condo. Now, whenever my mom sees lilacs she always buys some to bring to my grandma.

I think flowers spur individuality. I believe this because flowers are all different. Their smell, texture, shape, size, and color are unique and special to each flower. Even the same types of flowers are different. For example, daisies are all very diverse. They can be different colors and shades, have different petals sizes or number of petals, etc. And, different flowers are grown together and learn to adapt to their new environment. I believe that if people were like flowers in that sense, the world would be a better place.

I also believe that gardens are sacred, special places. It annoys me a lot when people walk on other people’s gardens, suffocating the helpless blooms. People work very hard to grow flowers and other plants, and it is angering to see them carelessly destroyed. Gardens make houses look inviting and appealing, and can easily reveal the home owners’ personalities. If the garden is very neat and quaint, you can guess that the gardener is organized and hard working. When gardens are brightly colored and have many exotic plants, you can see the owner is fun and adventurous.

In conclusion, I think flowers are an important part of people’s lives, and affect us greatly. I believe people should respect flowers and gardens. I think that flowers encourage individuality and bring happiness to people. This I believe.