Optimism

Joe - Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

Optimism: noun: the belief that good ultimately predominates over evil, the belief that good pervades reality. This is optimism according to dictionary.com.

Optimism is one of the many keys to a happy day. If you wake up and you don’t feel like doing anything look at the bright side to try and get yourself going by finding a motivation. Think of blissful things, such as: it actually looks like spring today, we have bagels that I can have for breakfast, or even my tooth paste tastes exceptionally minty. For example, if I ran into a wall, I’m sure someone would be laughing at me. Although I would have a vast swelling on my head, being optimistic I would feel good that I brought delight to someone else. Even if bad things happen to you, you can still have a positive outlook on them.

Some people think of someone who’s optimistic as a smiley person who is always happy-go lucky. I could look like I’ve been having the worst day of my life and still be contented within. Not everyone likes to show their emotions to everyone else.

I also think that being optimistic can cloud reality, you can never truly escape reality but if everything seems happy for one moment it’s easier to see the bright side of the world.

It’s not that I know everything will go well today; it’s that I think and hope everything will work out today.

Although I believe in being optimistic, sometimes you need a balance of pessimism as well. Without the sour there would be no sweet, without a cry there wouldn’t be a laugh. I never said this balance was even, in fact I believe that there should be at least three times as much optimism as pessimism. Optimism is like many bubbles that combine together to make one giant bubble and pessimism is the needle that pops the bubble and every little drop comes crashing down onto the ground splattering into tinier droplets.

Optimism: noun: an emotion that doubles as a personality; can help you with many things; is not always showed on the outside but mostly on the inside.

This I believe.