This I believe

Tom - west linn, Oregon
Themes: prejudice, race

I think a big problem in the US is racism, and if we want to grow as a country we should try to stop and fix those wrong mentalities. It’s too hard for a country to focus on improving in anything, especially when there are too many internal problems. I believe that everyone was created equally and that it’s not right to judge people based on the color of their skin or the religion that they choose to practice. I think that this is the most important problem in the United States and we need to come together and do something about it.

Our country has wrongly had a lot of racist acts ever since it originated. I believe that because we started with those acts it’s going to be extra hard to erase them from every single person’s mind, especially the people who have grown up around it. Our country was founded with slaves working the land, and white people ordering them around. I think that led many people to believe that African Americans are not as good as white people. We had some big strides; Abraham Lincoln set out to free the slaves and eventually we got rid of the slaves. But with good strides comes consequences, Abraham Lincoln was murdered shortly after that. When I think of the word Racism, I think of the 1960’s, I think of Martin Luther King Jr and Rosa Parks, and how they fought for their rights. This is how I visually picture what racism is, I picture all of these events and all the oppression that they faced at this point in time. And even now I can see Racism if I look for it, it’s visible in every major city. There are Gangs that dislike others because they are in a different gang and have different beliefs. You see African American, Mexican, Asian and Caucasian gangs…etc, and the list goes on and on.

Also, ever since September 11, 2001, there has been a lot of racism towards Arabians, and towards the Muslim Religion. Many families and friends experienced a great loss when the World Trade Center crashed and they were very concerned that it could happen again. I think after that event many US citizen views on Muslims were altered for the worse and I don’t think its right to judge a certain religion because of one terrible act.

Even with all of the tragic events that have happened in our country, I still think we can overcome it and become a stronger nation if we all pull together. I think it is extremely important that we don’t just automatically judge someone because they are of a different ethnicity or religion. We need to appreciate the diversity in our nation and build upon it, we can’t keep putting others down, and it can do nothing but hurt us in the long run.