the beauty of dye

Carissa - Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

I walked to school about a week ago, with my head held high. As I made my way to the back entrance, I smiled, as people turned to look at my hair. My short and purple, messily cut hair. This isn’t the first time I had ever dyed my hair, but this is certainly the most vibrant it had ever been, and the most happy it’s ever made me to dye it, at least until someone turned and said “nice hair” laughing, cruel and critical.

I believe in dying hair as a form of self expression, and that I should be able to show who I am though color; and to me, the more unique the coloring, the better, because the world is full of sameness, and sometimes I want to mix it up. If I don’t express myself in some way, I’m not really me, at least not on the outside, I’m just the same as everyone else I see thought the course of my day, and thought coloring and cutting my hair, I can be myself without having to worry about permanent outcomes, because my hair will always grow back again!

Also, I now have a way to show a personality without having to challenge other’s ideas, because changing what shade or length my hair is isn’t going to change what I think of other people, only what others think of my appearance. Too often in the world we live in, everyone is the same, and this is the beauty of self expression! It’s what sets people apart. However, if people judge others for their sameness, the world doesn’t see that we need to be able to- to be accepting of others little differences, and embrace their big personality and why they are wonderful.

The other beauty of being able to change the hue of my hair is that it gives me control over something. As a thirteen-year-old girl, there isn’t much I can control, so I love being able to control some things, even if they are little details. It may not be as important what color my hair is as who is in charge of the government, or what the weather is like, but it’s still nice to have my own say in the little things like what color I choose to paint my nails, or who I’m friends with, or how my hair is cut. These little daily freedoms are the other reason I love being able to dye my hair.

It may not be the most important thing in the world, but it’s nice when I can change the color of my hair based on how I want to have it, and how I want to be creative. This, I believe.