Jessica - Edina, Minnesota

I believe that grandparents are amazing. I have 10 living right now, before I was born there were 13 total. This includes great-grandparents and step-grandparents in case you were confused. I call them all grandpa or grandma, except Richard. He’s called Richard, but he’s my real grandpa. It’s confusing, I know, but this essay won’t explain my family history. It’s to show you just one side of one of my grandmothers, and how amazing she can be.

We walk through the mall, and she stops. She turns with her quick walk, yelling back to me, “I just want to see what all the fuss is about,” as if she knew I was already questioning her. She’s talking about the Coach purses, the ones I know we can’t afford, but I’m ok with it because they’re kind of gaudy. She hustles back out saying, “yeah, they’re soft, but I ain’t paying no $2000 dollars for it.” She laughs demeaningly at the store and scurries away with me smiling at the thought of what the ladies at the store are thinking.

This is a common occurrence with Grandma. She has her expectations set in stone, and won’t settle for anything less, especially at restaurants. We went with her to Disney World and I was afraid she was going to complain everywhere we went. She has a history of it, especially at Applebee’s where the food’s too cold and the waitress doesn’t know what she’s doing. When we went to the first restaurant in Disney World I could tell she wasn’t too impressed. She liked some things, but her face looked like she was expecting more. But this time, she said nothing. I had this gut feeling that my parents told her not to complain because I love Disney World so much. I can’t say I didn’t appreciate this, but it wasn’t Grandma. Thankfully, as the trip went on, she truly enjoyed herself. She kept ordering more and more food at different restaurants, her favorite being The Brown Derby where she racked up the largest restaurant bill I have ever seen.

She was acting like herself now, and could do anything she wanted. She asked to ride the carousel. She told me about her dad never wanting to pay for the ticket to ride one when she was younger, so we took her to the carousel; the big one nestled behind the castle. When we got there, my sister and I wanted her to ride on the little bench, but she insisted on getting on one of the horses. She climbed on the horse with her short legs that only bring her up to my shoulder when she stands, but she pushed herself up and sat on the horse. We started going and she just kept saying, “Oh, the horses are so beautiful.” My grandpa and dad watched her as she waved and went around. The ride neared the end, and I could see the smiles on everyone in my family as we watched her work her way down, all of us ready to pounce in case she didn’t make it. I was so proud of my grandma on that trip, proud because she could be herself and have fun at the same time.