Marcus - Windsor, California
Themes: work

Throughout my life I have been fairly privileged. My parents have always tried to do their best to keep my brothers and me happy. However, this has not always come easily for them; my parents have had to work very hard throughout their lives to succeed in this way. We have never considered ourselves poor, nor are we in any way rich, but there are times when we just barely skate by. In these times I see my father and mother going to work all the time because we enjoy the life we have and want to keep it. However, with the recent decrease in the housing market and the rising interest rates on loans it can be very difficult to keep our lifestyle.

My father recently started working seven days a week so that we could have some extra money to continue the life we have. It is very sad to see how strenuous it is on him and it really gives a glimpse of how hard life truly is. Nothing will be handed to you, you have to really earn it. I feel very bad for my father though, I love him for going through all the things he does to make us happy and its awful to see how hard it is on him; he needs a break. I believe everyone needs a break, at least once in awhile.

I hear so many stories of families having their houses foreclosed, kids not going to the colleges they wanted and working to help their family, but I never really connected with these people. I have always felt bad whenever I heard something such as this, but I never had a full on connection with these stories. Lately however, seeing my father and many others go through hardships in life has made me realize what life is really like. I am not saying that my family is worse off than most, because it is definitely not, but I now have a better understanding of how these sorts of things can come up and get you in life. I am definitely planning to start contributing more this summer as I get a job, I will most likely become less reliant on my parents for all the extra things every kid wants and start seeing what life on my own will be like. Hopefully this helps out the rest of my family, at least a little bit.

Through out the world people live in poverty and conditions that are much worse then most of us “city kids” could ever imagine. I think that everyone takes that for granted, I know I have, that’s for sure. I know everyone is probably thinking “wow a little hardship and this kid thinks he is worse off than everyone else is”. I don’t mean that at all, I have recently just really got to thinking about how difficult and tiring life can be for many people around the world and I believe they all deserve much more credit then they really receive. I believe everyone needs a break.