All People are People

Gabby - Lander, Wyoming

I believe in love. I believe in that mushy-gushy romantic stuff, and roses and chocolates, but I also believe in the love of mankind. I believe in acting with love in your heart and I believe in loving people, just because they are people. I once read a quote that said, “If you want to be happy, practice compassion. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.” I believe in being kind and loving to others just because they are of the human race, and because it leads to my happiness, and more importantly, the happiness of others.

One day, I was at school. It was a beautiful day and the sun was shining. I had eaten lunch outside with some friends, and we heard loud angry voices coming from a large group of students near the school. We went over to see what was happening, and found a group of boys, who were the jocks, the “hotties” of the school, taunting another boy. This lone kid was not cool, he was not good-looking, and he was weird, he had chains and piercings. These boys were mercilessly calling the weird boy awful names and laughing. The weird boy shouted angry things back, cussing and yelling. After a minute, the weird boy gave a final insult and left the scene, almost at a run. He passed my friends and I, and as he went by I saw intense hurt in his face. Even though he had tried to appear tough in front of the other boys, his eyes were full of pain.

That look made my stomach plunge. I felt sick. The beautiful sunshiny day went away, and everything felt dark and yucky. It hit me like a semi-truck that mean people were not cool. Without trying to condemn the boys who were taunting him, I tell this story because it affected me. I wanted to hug this boy, and I had never talked to him in my life. I wanted to cry for him and I wanted to slap the jock boys. I felt love towards him. He was a person, just like me. He had chains and piercings, but he had bones, and

muscles, and a heart too. Just like me.

All people are people. I believe that there is too much intolerance of others differences and imperfections in this world. I am guilty myself. But I believe that no matter how different someone is they deserve the respect of being a human being. If I give love and compassion to other people, it brings joy and feelings of warmth to my heart, no matter how small the act. I believe in practicing compassion, and tolerance. I believe in love.