Unbreakable Human Cycles

Schimelpfenig - Lander, Wyoming
Themes: humanism

I Believe that most humans are powerless to stop the cycle that their life has become. They exhibit the same behavior from life to life, from generation to generation. You see this cycle in all areas of life. At least three times during my day I her somebody expressing their distaste in their parents. “My mom is such a…..” and “My parents make me…” Almost every person my age has some problem with their parents. The irony is if you listen to adults they talk about how unappreciative they were as teenagers and that they wished they would have spent more time with their parents. I often wondered why we repeat the mistakes of those before us. Usually I just shake my head. Sometimes I tell them that they are doing the same thing as their parents, and so it is likely that they will be in their parents position expressing the same remorse. I just get the same old story. People think that they are different but it my life I have met only a handful of different people.

Of course the situation above is relatively innocent but I find that life is full of such things. Most people have watched a friend slowly consume himself to drugs or alcohol. Despite the fact that their path leads to death, jail or in luck rehab, they still walk down as the millions before them have. Their family members and friends then experience the acute draining pain that the millions of friends and family members before them have. Sometimes, I want to scream. Do they not know that the same universal laws apply to them. Do they not see what they are doing to themselves and those close to them. Do they not understand that those who fail to learn history’s mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

While this cycle repeats itself from person to person, the saddest part is cycles exist in people. Once somebody frees themselves from the cycle they seem to almost inevitably fall right back in. If you were in rehab, chances are you will go their again. This exist in all areas of life. People who fall into abusive relationships tend to stay in them though their partner changes. The cycle is everywhere. People who crashed because thy talked on their cell phone still drive talking on their cell phone. If you became overweight once, you probably will fall back into obesity. People will live each day relatively the same as the day before. The same number of steps, the same things said, thought and dreamed.

While depressing, the realization of the cycle has allowed me to revaluate my own life. I realized my cycle of homework procrastination and I realized that I have a tendency to avoid commitment. Recognition of the cycle before it happens allows me to do a rare thing, move forward as a person. Break the Cycle.