If you do not apply something that you say you believe,do you truely believe it?

Naomi - Port St. Joe, Florida

Someone once told me that if you really believe in something you’ll live by it. But is that really true. I started thinking about all the things I believe but don’t exactly do. For example I believe that you should drink 8 glasses of water a day, for better skin, nicer hair, and overall health, but I never seem to get past 4 glasses. And what about exercise, I believe and am thoroughly convinced that if I do 1,000 crunches a day I will have a six pack, which by the way I want, but do I do that….no! I have also been wanting to lose weight and I believe that if I eat healthy food and not junk food I must certainly will lose weight, but I haven’t yet stopped eating junk food. So does that mean that I don’t truely believe that work, I don’t think so. Also,how many people in the world believe in God… a lot, me being one of them. So that would mean you should do what God tells us to, you should live by his standards, but how many fornicators, adulterer,liars,and greedy persons do we have in this world, does that mean since they don’t exercise what God feels is right, that they don’t really believe his standards are right. I think not. So what does it mean to truely believe in something. It means to be thoroughly convinced that something is true. As the above examples sited you can be thoroughly convinced on a matter and still not act accordingly or apply it to your day to day life. True, to believe in somethong is essential if your going to practice it. Along with belief one needs motivation, determination, consistancy, and the will to truely stick to something. Sometimes you do things before you even believe in them, like listening to your parents. You may not believe that your parents know whats best on a matter, yet a wise person will obey there parents. Eventually they do come to believe. So belief is something that can occur before, during, and after a matter. The important thing is just because you live your life a certain way that doesn’t mean you don’t truely believe you should be living differrently, and this I believe.