I believe in Laughter

Arbi - Glendale, California

I Believe in Laughter

Everyone has experienced some kind of pain in his or her life. It can be a loss of a loved one or a personal injury, both can be devastating. Finding Humor in this kind of situation could help with the pain. Laughter is a cure for me in my times of need, and it works every time. So weather my pain is physical or emotional, I believe that laughter makes all of life’s problems better.

At a young age, I found it humorous in a injury I received when I fell and broke my wrist. I was running on wet cement during recess enjoying the cool breeze against my cheeks and I was trying my best to run faster than anybody else. I was on the cold cement before I could blink. The pain was intense; it felt like someone had tried crushing my hand. I remember everyone staring at me, waiting for me to cry or scream in pain I suppose. Instead, I began to laugh so hard that teams started to run down my cheeks, the tears were from the laughter but then the pain. I believe that the laughter seemed to make the pain less.

A couple of years later, I found myself laughing again, at a pain that was accidently self-inflicted. My brother and I were playing in the garage one afternoon and my mother had asked me to come help her with the groceries. I grabbed as many as I could with both hands and then tried to shut the trunk without placing the bags down. I closed the trunk on my own fingers and remember just staring at my fingers, not being able to move my fingers for a moment, and seeing the color of my flesh turning purplish-blue. At first the pain for unbearable but after a few minutes I was able to feel my fingers again and as I was walking back upstairs, I remember seeing a kid riding his bicycle and falling on the ground, for some reason I started laughing and then the young boy continued to laugh with me. The laughter around me helped me forget about my injury for the moment.

I believe that Laughter brings the focus away from anger, guilt, stress and negative emotions in a more beneficial way rather than any other distractions. Instead of complaining about life’s frustrations, try to laugh about them. Approach life in a more jolly way and you’ll find you’re less stressed about negative events, and you’ll achieve the health benefits of laughter.