Life is Too Short

Keely - Lander, Wyoming

My life was always so simple and normal until one summer. My relationships with my family were great and my best friend was my older brother. My brother’s senior year changed everything.

My brother’s last year in high school was rough for him. He got involved with a younger girl who was not a good influence on him; it was his first true relationship. His girlfriend was very manipulative, she influenced my brother to do things that he would have never thought of doing, but he was always there for her no matter what the situation was. My brother spent every waking hour with her just to make sure she was happy; it didn’t work. She ended up being suicidal and in an institutional clinic, about 24 hours after being instituted my brother did everything in his power to get her out; they weren’t doing any treatments for her. Their relationship went on for many months.

The summer my brother graduated they broke up due to my brother leaving in the fall. His girlfriend instigated the breakup and it was hard on my brother. He didn’t understand why and went into a great depression. My brother tried to committee suicide twice. Both times I was the first person to be called and I had to tell my parents. I never had any respect for my brother after his two attempts because I didn’t understand why he would do something like that. I felt that he had betrayed me and my family. I also felt that he was being very selfish in the ways he dealt with stress and conflict that crossed his path.

My parents had many conversations with him after the week of mental breakdowns. I still struggled just to be able to look at my brother; I couldn’t believe that he would do what he did to my family. I was so shocked that he would put us all through such a scare and he could bounce back like nothing happened. I would go out of my way just so that I wouldn’t have to talk to him. I stood in a ditch full of water in the middle of the night for two hours, so I wouldn’t have to face him.

This was one of the hardest summers for me. I sat back and watched my brother nearly kill himself over an ex-girlfriend. There was one major thing 1 learned that summer and it was; life is too short. Even since that summer I have tried to live my life by these words;

“The past is history,

The future is a mystery

Today is a gift that is why

It’s called the present.”

(The Fish Book)

I believe that no one should ever take their life away from themselves because life is too short as it is.