The Power of Laughter

Katrina - Wheaton, Illinois

The definition of laughter is an inner quality, mood, disposition, etc. To me, laughter is so much more than that. It’s one of the first noises a baby makes. It’s what keeps you watching those cheesy movies. It’s a magical thing that even these 400 words can’t fully explain.

Do you ever get those times when you just can’t stop laughing, that your stomach hurts, and you can’t even breathe? When you’ve been lying on the floor for at least five minutes, and every time you get under control for 2 seconds (tops), you just think about the stupid thing and it starts all over? I do. Laughter creates these memories that you just can’t forget.

One time at a soccer game, I was subbed out, and I started talking with two other girls on the bench. Pretty soon, we just started cracking up, over silly things. A couple minutes later, our team scored a goal. Call me crazy, but you never know. . .

Laughter makes people wonder. People are always going to think, what’s so funny? I think in that moment when some people are enjoying something funny, it’s something special that maybe shouldn’t be shared. Like it’s just one of those times where “you had to be there” or else it just isn’t the same. Maybe those other people should just keep on wondering, and never know. I think laughter is what brings people together, in a way that nothing else can.

I’ve heard that laughing makes you live longer, and is good for yourself. I believe that. Your whole life would just be boring if there was no laughter, or joy. I believe that laughing is like those Saturday mornings, when you are still curled up in your bed, and thinking about anything-everything. Like going to a store, and finding the perfect shirt. Perfect size, perfect style. Laughing makes your day so much more fun, and easier. It’s like in a NASCAR race when you have a pit stop to fix anything on the car, and get more gas. After that, BAM! The driver is just ready to get the show on the road. Laughing is that pit stop, and it makes you want to just keep going.

So as I write my This I Believe, I stop and think about laughing myself. Maybe some people think that laughing is a waste of breath, or maybe not. What do I believe? I believe in the power of laughter.