Religion is the Center of My Life

Meredith - Hilliard, Ohio

Religion plays a big role in my life. It’s the center of everything I do and it guides all of my morals and values every day. I came to know Christ when I was in middle school. I went to this young life camp my seventh and eighth grade year during the summer and I loved it. The atmosphere was just full of people that loved God and felt comfortable expressing themselves to everyone there. This really opened my eyes to a lot of new and cool experiences that I developed at my church over the years. I made many new friends that supported me and had the same beliefs as I did. We could talk about anything from religion to boys and nothing could tear us apart. We were an unstoppable force, ready to go out and preach to the world about their savior, Jesus Christ. It’s an amazing feeling knowing that someone supports you in everything you do. It also gives you someone to talk to about things when you have sinned or done something against what God wants. This way someone is there to help you get back on your feet and pray for you.

Over the years I have made really good friends through my church and school that were supposedly strong in there faith and there for me until the end. Many of those close ties have been lost within the last couple years of my life and it’s hard to cope with such a tragic end to a friendship. Just last year I became close with a group of four girls at my church. We formed an amazing bond and people envied the friendship we held within each other. It was a great feeling to know that my sisters in Christ were my best friends in the whole world. This friendship though was about to come to an end. I had just broken up with a guy I dated from my church. He was very sweet, but I felt God was telling me to take it easy and that he didn’t want me in a relationship at the time, so I broke up with him. It was hard, but it was something I had to do. As my best friends, I hoped they would support me in my decision, but it turns out I was very wrong. One of the girls had developed a crush on my now ex-boyfriend and decided he was more important to her than me. As a follower of Jesus, this was not what God wanted to see in a true friend. She portrayed herself as a strong christian who was nice to everyone, but she didn’t act that way towards me of all people. It turns out she isn’t really the christian she says she is after all and it hurts to know that I introduced her to all my friends at church and brought her to camp, but she repays me in the worst way. I had to tell her our friendship was over because I couldn’t live another day being friends with someone who wasn’t faithful to me or God. This made me grow so much stronger as a christian. I don’t want to say I’m glad it happened, but in a way I am. Thanks to this situation, I now have a stronger faith in God and religion is part of my every day life. I know I can trust him and he will never forsake me!