I Believe….

Courtney - Hilliard, Ohio

This I believe…

I am a Christian. I have been a Christian for 16 years, and I am currently 16 years old. Ever since I can remember I have been going to church. The same church, actually. I believe in God, but that’s not what this particular assignment is about.

Every Sunday I go and learn about God and all of His glory. One day in particular, I was in my youth group, which was no different than the rest of the Sundays. The subject for the day was “worry”. The routine was the same. The youth pastor talked; we listened and occasionally read some passages from the Bible that related to our topic. So, we were instructed to open the Bible to Matthew chapter 6, verse 25, which in the New International Version is titled “Do Not Worry.” We read together probably the first half or a little more of the verses and continued discussing what God has to say about “worry.” Well, I am one of those people who can’t just stop in the middle of a passage. So, I continued reading the verses and then I got to the last verse, verse 34. It read, “Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” I immediately fell in love with the verse. I mean, it said right there, “don’t worry about tomorrow.” I guess I just found a great comfort in these words.

Growing up, and as I am still growing up, I often worried. I worried about a lot of things. Tests, friends, other people’s opinions, but one thing I worried about a lot was death. I know death is a part of life, but the idea of death just scared the pants off of me. I found myself more wrapped up in death than what was going on right now. I was too busy thinking about death that I couldn’t enjoy what I was experiencing right then. When God placed this verse right in front of me, I was suddenly able to relax. He was telling me specifically, don’t worry. Don’t worry about the future, it will worry about itself. He was telling me to just take life as it comes. Live in the moment and don’t waste your time worrying about what’s coming next. This is what I try to live by. I try to take everyday one at a time and to focus on the ‘now’ not the ‘later.’ I try to let tomorrow worry about itself and me just focus on what’s going on around me…now. This is what I try to remember everyday. This is what I believe.