Living in the Present

Amanda - Columbus, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

Seven years ago my father decided to leave my two sisters and myself with my mom. I really never got to know him or even for him to get to know me. The hardest part of it all was that it was on my eighth birthday. Nothing I have experienced since, or before, has had a more powerful meaning in my life.

This has always led me to think, “what if…” and I was never focused on what I was doing then. I mist a lot of important moments in my life thinking about what my father would think of me now. Life was just passing me by with no notice. It is already to short to begin with and the more I miss the shorter it is. That is when I realized what has now been the motto of my life.

I believe that life is to short and I need to start living in the present not the past.

This has not been easy for me because I have always been a very conservative person. Not knowing what I’m going to do next frightens me. I’ve leaned to not be all caught up with what other people think and what they want me to be. I am who I am, that’s not going to change. This has allowed me to try new and exiting things in my life that I would never have tried before. This has allowed me to realize that my own mind is my greatest gift. It has given me the confidence to believe in myself and push me to do things I would never have tried before. My life is more fulfilling than ever before and I thank my father for that.

I still think about what I missed by not having my father in my life, but now instead of thinking of the negatives I focus more on the positives. He has given me lots of things including life, but most importantly I think he has given me the most important lesson in life and I don’t think he even knows it. I now treasure my life and everything that comes with it. It has given me the opportunities to meat new and interesting people. The friends I have now can show for it. Living my life the way I want has allowed me to be the person I am today.