Katherine - Galloway, Ohio

I am not necessarily the kind of person who would say that believing in one religion at all times is an answer to a problem. I think that where I find refuge in beliefs is in a sense of morale, which comes from learning lessons and making mistakes.

Beginning just a few weeks ago, I started to work on my sense of morale to better myself, in hopes of becoming the best person I can be. There is something untouchable about the sense of achieving a goal, or even many goals. Still it takes hard work to go to a place you’ve never been, and generally more than one small step must be taken before a whole picture can be completed.

For these reasons, I have made a list of things that I want to do before I finish school.

This list is probably the best list I have ever written, and I consider myself a master of lists. It mostly has activities to do in no particular order except for how they fell out of my head onto paper. Some of them, like “Make the perfect cookie recipe”, are more light-hearted, while others, like “Get a best friend”, are not. Some have proven to be simple, like “Make a list of professions I could be”, while others, like “Learn how to make awesome paper airplanes and then make lots”, have proven to be a challenge, this particular one because it took patience to figure out the directions; but that’s the idea—while becoming frustrated about folding a piece of paper, I learned that in doing so I did nothing except make it harder on myself. Plus, in the end I got the satisfaction of sending it flying over my backyard.

Most of my list is not completed, and by most I mean that I’ve got a long way to go before I can say I have done everything on it. I have also realized that I have the challenge of carrying out my intentions while keeping my grades up, because to be a good person you must do your best in everything you attempt. This fact, in my mind, is a tough one to respect, especially when “Dye my hair” sounds much more tempting than finishing my homework so I can have a secure future. Ironically enough, my list taught me that school is an important part of what makes me myself.

Before I started writing down things I wanted to do, I wrote the reasons I wanted to do them. This, most of all, has made every step worth the effort. It just seems befitting that to follow my beliefs, I should have to “Decide how I feel about religion”.