Music Equals Life

Leigh Anne - Columbus, Ohio

Music Equals Life

Music is everywhere. To some people music s not a big part of their lives. Others could not live without it. I am the type of person who can’t live without music. For me, music is soothing, it’s a way to express my self, and helps me to build my self confidence.

When I am on stage, my mind is empty except for the words and pitches needed for the song. When I sing I forget about the science project that is due on Friday and how bad my day was. Music fills me with self confidence and completes my life.

Over the past school year, my instructor has helped to boost my self confidence. He has helped my self confidence by encouraging me to try singing solos. I sang one solo, however I did not do my best. My Instructor reminded me that it was my first solo and I could improve and become a better soloist. He has encouraged me to keep trying, each time it gets easier and soon I hope to be a confident soloist thanks to my choir teacher.

Some people are able to release their stress by participating in sports or in exercise programs. I am not that type of person. I use music as my release. Every day I look forward to going to choir class. Our instructor reminds us often that the choir room can be our sanctuary. When we walk into the room we can be ourselves and express ourselves without worrying about what others think.

Our choir has a high reparation, but the atmosphere in the room is not stressful or uptight. We have fun preparing the songs for an audience, and the audience has fun listening to us sing. We have been told in the past that the reason we have a high reparation is because we sing with our hearts and that helps to send out the messages of the songs. I believe music is a great way to express how I feel and to just forget about the world, even if it’s only for a couple of minutes.