God is a Protector

Emily - Appleton, Wisconsin

I believe that God is always watching out for me, protecting me in the scariest situations. Although I can never see or hear him, I always feel his presence in the times that I feel the most vulnerable and terrified.

When I was only about five years old, my family experienced a horrible event. We were living in a fairly nice house in Illinois, in front of some apartments. I had never thought of those apartments as being troublesome to my family, until one day. My baby sister had just been put down for a nap, and my mom told me to go downstairs to the basement and clean something up. I whined and complained, not wanting to do it right that second. I reluctantly went downstairs, while my mom stayed upstairs, looking out the window at the apartments. She saw two teenage boys engaging in some sort of fight, and then suddenly realized that they were holding guns, trying to shoot each other! As I bent down to pick up my toy, I heard an extremely loud ‘bang’ and came running up the stairs. I became more and more terrified as I saw my mom, looking white as a ghost, and a small bullet in our wall. The gun had went off in the direction of our house, through our huge family room window, and into our wall. It had just missed my mom’s knee, and would have probably hit my baby sister or myself if we had been up there at that exact moment. I had never been more grateful that I had decided to actually listen to my mother in that moment. I felt like God had made sure that all of us were out of harm’s way, out of the bullet’s way. Just to imagine how horrible it would have been if one of us had been there at the wrong time makes me want to cry. God protected us during the time that we were closest to death, and for that I am extremely grateful.

I had always been told as a young child in Sunday school that God loves me and would always protect me. I don’t think that I fully understood how true that statement was until this event occurred. In that moment, I had never felt more loved or protected in my life. I was only five years old, but I still remember that feeling quite vividly. I have never since doubted that I would be protected forever and always. This is why I believe that God is a protector.