I Believe

Erik - West Linn, Oregon

I Believe

I believe is a very strong statement and it represents your beliefs as an individual person. I believe that with hard work and determination anything is possible. I know it sounds a little cliché but this statement has been a major part of my life. It can apply to any situation, with a little extra hard work and determination you can accomplish anything in life. For example, if you set a goal for yourself to lose ten pounds, with the proper exercise and dieting you can do it. The hard part is not setting the goal, the hard part is all the dedication it takes to exercise and eat right to accomplish your goal. That’s the biggest problem with most people, they set a goal but they don’t always follow through because of the hard work it requires. I think if you set your mind to something and really put in the extra work you can achieve your goals.

This statement is true to me in many situations. I work really hard in everything that I do because I want to put my best product out there every time. And the feeling that you get after all the hard work pays off in the end is like nothing else. You have such a sense of satisfaction that all you want to do is to keep working hard. This approach on life has really helped me become successful in academics and sports in high school.

One of my goals ever since the sixth grade was to play college football. Little did I know my dream would come true. Football became a passion of mine but as a kid in middle school you only work on football during the season. Once I made the transition into high school it was a completely different story. We trained during the off-season which was a big change for me. The coaches pushed us to work really hard in the weight room because being physically strong is a key component of being a good player.

My body started to develop and I became one of the strongest kids on the team. My new work ethic and commitment to becoming the best player on the field helped me all the way through high school. Training all the time is a lot of hard work and I could have had more fun spending my summer with my friends but I made a commitment to be the best player that I could be. And all the hard work that I had put into football the previous four years really paid off and was evident my senior season. Our team finished with an impressive record of seven wins and two losses. We made the playoffs, beat Beaverton in the first round but lost in the second round to West Salem. I earned First Team All-League Wide Receiver, Outside Linebacker/Strong Safety and Punter and Honorable Mention All State Punter. I was the first person in West Linn High School history to win first team all-league for three positions. I was a Scholar Athlete of the Year nominee and I won the T.J. Curran Most Versatile Player Award which was a 1000 dollar scholarship. And in June I will be playing in the Les Schwab Bowl which is an All Star Football Game for high school players. All the goals I had set for myself this past season came true. It was an amazing feeling to be recognized for so many things on the field and I was so glad that I put in the hard work to achieve them.

I am now moving on to the next level of competition. I plan to continue to elevate my work ethic and hard work that I put into not only the sport but my everyday life. After seven years my dream of being able to play college football is coming true. I will be attending Linfield College and playing football for the Wildcats. My I believe statement became a reality. With hard work and determination anything is possible.

Another reason that I believe that with hard work and determination you can accomplish anything is because of my dad. He grew up in Hungary and moved to the U.S. when he was 16. His family did not have the money for him to go to college. Unlike many other 18 year old kids he immediately went to work. He works harder then anybody that I have ever met. He has an unbelievable drive to accomplish anything and everything that life throws at him. He has worked since he was 18 years old and through hard work he has created a good life for my family and he continues to work as hard as ever to provide for our family. He may not have the job of his dreams but through his hard work throughout the years he has created a better life than most people expected from him. I cannot thank him enough for all the things he has sacrificed in order to help this family and I am eternally grateful.

Larry Bird

“I’ve got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.”