courtney - USA
Age Group: 65+

Some friends are there forever but most just come and go. I believe that friends are like trees; or at least parts of a tree. Some are the roots; they hold up the tree. Others are like branches; they might seem sturdy but if you step too far out on one it will break. Then you have the leaves that come and go with the seasons. Next there are the friends that are not a part of the tree but they still exist. They are the birds. The birds might stay for a while, make a nest, but then they disappear leaving the nest behind. I have had, and still may have, all those types of friends. That’s kind of why I’m writing this. Friends are a big deal to me. They are my life. If my friends were taken away I wouldn’t have anything. I think I would die without them.

When you are leaving 5th grade everyone tells you how much things will change; how much friends will change going into middle school. Also, this is when you find out who your true friends are. I never really listened to those people, not because I didn’t hear them but because I didn’t want to hear them. I thought that everything would stay the same; boy was I in for a surprise. As soon as I walked into the door everyone was in a frantic rush to be popular except a select few, my best friends.

For example when I walked in that day, the first day of middle school, I felt different. I felt things were going to be different, and they were. I walked up to one of my friends and just said hello. I expected a short hello and maybe a little chat about how our summer went. But all she did was give me a “hey,” then walked away to talk to someone she was never even friends with, but apparently now was. From that point on I realized things at school would never be the same again. I was pretty upset when that happened, I wasn’t expecting it. This was a big deal to me, this girl has been with me since pre-k, and we never even fought. I walked away knowing my tree was falling apart in a hurricane named middle school. Then one of my best friends came up to me, she comforted me, she helped me. She helped get me through it and she let me know she was there for me and always would be.

Okay well I am not going to lie. My best friends did change a little too. Like when I saw my friend Sam she had dyed her hair, Paisley buys clothes from expensive stores now, and another friends voice got deeper, but their friendship with me didn’t change at all.

Things weren’t always happy though because I did lose some friends. However they were just leaves on my tree of friends. Let me tell you something that I have learned over these few years, the same thing happens every year but if someone wants to go let them. They can only hurt you more if you don’t. Now I am in 8th grade and I could never be happier. I lost leaves over the seasons but I gained roots along the way.