Baggy but Bold

Colleen - Wyckoff, New Jersey

I believe in dressing comfortably. Walking through the halls of a public high school I recognize and appreciate the ability to express myself with my clothing, but of course within certain tasteful guidelines. Knee-highs, a pleated, plaid skirt, Doc Martens, and a knitted polo worn by some of my friends at catholic schools are hardly my idea of comfortable, even practical, clothing for an academic setting.

Every morning I wake up with clothes I have placed out the night before, and have been given the opportunity to choose what I want. If it is a rainy day, I often opt for the casual sweatshirt and jeans combination. If it is hot, sunny day, I usually grab my gym shorts and broken-in t-shirts. As an active student and athlete I have acquired enough of these sweatshirts, t-shirts, and gym shorts from my previous tournaments, college visits, and charity events to last me, and even my friends and family, a lifetime. My t-shirts represent who I am, where I have been, and who I have met along the way; not to mention they have been worn so many times, that they fit me like a glove.

I believe firmly in the idea that when I dress comfortably, I am more comfortable in my surroundings. For example, walking into the SATs, I am not about to put on my stilettos, skinny jeans, and halter top. This is because I am not there to impress those fellow test-takers, but rather be calm and at ease so that I can concentrate. I feel the very same logic applies to the classroom. Watching a girl fidgeting with her tight, low cut jeans to cover her “lower back” while she is trying to take a test, I know she is struggling to concentrate, because she is worried she is revealing something she wants to keep a secret. I pity those who do not feel as though they can be comfortable in a social setting when they are not revealing their figure. I for one am most confident and relaxed when I am in looser jeans and a well-worn t-shirt from a soccer tournament I was in five years ago. Most of my friends dress similarly to me and their confidence shows in their academic and social prowess.

I believe that my friends would tell me that they are comfortable around me and that they do not feel that how they look determines how much I will like them. Just because I wear jeans and a t-shirt does not mean that I am sloppy or do not keep my appearance to a specific standard. Rather, I respect my academic surroundings, while maintaining the least amount of attention on the way I look; I am at school to learn, I am there to be relaxed, I am the girl in comfy clothes with book in hand.