Clark - Lander, Wyoming

A teary Dane Douglas was going from person to person saying goodbye on her last day of work, I was the last person she stopped to talk to. She came to me and said “You know what I truly love about you Clark? You aren’t at all afraid to be yourself, even if that means looking different.” It wasn’t until after Dane said that to me that I really started to think about what made me who I am and what made those around me who they are.

Each and every one of us has been guilty of trying to be someone that we are not. One should not act a certain way just so they can appear more desirable to certain people. I feel strongly that people should make their own decisions. Acting in a manner such that an individual will somehow appear better in some form is absurd. Sooner or later their true self will shine through, so why not show it from the get go? Turning your life into some sort of lie will do you no good and get you now where.

Why worry about how you should act next when you could be worrying about more important things or already be taking action? Everyone knows that lying is wrong, but why do so many of us lie to the most important person of all; ourselves?

People get too wrapped up in being part of the cool crowd or changing how they look so someone will like them or notice them. Where does doing something like that get you? Does lying to yourself make you happy? What about the lie you are forming to that person? Is that lie something you want to live for the rest of your life?

Live by your own words, your own beliefs, not by the words of some philosopher or famous writer. Be inspired by you. Find passion in your day to day life. Become your own philosopher, your own famous writer. If someone wants you to change, the best thing you can do is not change at all. Be who you want to be, not what someone else wants you to be.

I have noticed too often that people forget who they are. They conform to someone else’s standards, to someone else’s way of life, and once they do that they lose their own individuality. Sure, that way of life may make them happy for a while, but eventually that lie is revealed and it all comes crashing down. I’ve seen friendships crumble, relationships end, and fights brew. I’ll admit do being in these situations. They happen, and their not pleasant.

Don’t ever choose your friends and activities because of the image it gives you. Be yourself, have fun doing it, and stop caring about what people will think about you. I took Dane’s words to heart and stopped caring about how people would react to certain actions. I did what I wanted to do. I did what Clark told me to do. And since then I have started shaping what makes me, me.