i believe tolerance is hipocracy

adam - howell, Michigan
Themes: tolerance

I believe that tolerance is hypocrisy.

People throw the word “tolerant” around a lot these days in an attempt to make themselves seem progressive, but don’t even realize the contradictory nature of the word. They may put up with groups different from themselves but they cannot stand intolerant people. To be truly tolerant one must accept everyone, including intolerant people, (which, by the way, is not something most people like to do). Those who claim to be tolerant of others, see their “tolerant” way of thought to be the only one of truth… to them, all others possess archaic and ignorant beliefs. It is this narcissistic way of thought that makes people so hard to get along with.

I believe that the entire concept of “tolerance” to be wrong.

Even the word “tolerance” suggests that other people’s beliefs are there for you to put up with. It implies that other people need your permission to live as they wish. Mahatma Gandhi once said; “Tolerance implies a gratuitous assumption of the inferiority of other faiths to one’s own”. You “tolerate” a long line at the cash register, expensive gas prices or having a tooth pulled, not another human beings way of life.

I believe that people need to mind their own damn business.

If someone decides to have an abortion, or marry someone of the same sex, how exactly does this influence your life? As much as certain fanatics might want you to believe… gay marriage, abortion, divorce, polygamy, drug use, or green hair, do not affect you! And so long as people can maintain a way of life that does stomp on you rights, try to return the favor.

I believe that with apathy comes acceptance.

I believe that instead of tolerance, one should approach another’s beliefs with apathy. By apathy I do not mean that if someone “believes” in beating his or her children that we should not care, but I mean it in the sense that as long as their beliefs do not encroach on other peoples rights. I believe that (at risk of sounding like a total cliché) instead of focusing on the differences we have we should focus on what we have in common. Then who knows we could find out that the differences that were pissing us off before really weren’t such a big deal.