Beauty in the Breakdown

Maggie - Wyckoff, New Jersey

Beauty in the Breakdown

I don’t think there is anything more beautiful than a highly anticipated cry. When it’s just been “one of those days,” and the cards are just not falling your way, there is nothing better than those tears that fall down your cheek that night. You shake the series of bad events that day off with just a twinkle in your eye and a simple smile and just count the minutes until your home and are free to let out that long hard cry. I don’t think there is anything more beautiful than that. But what could I possibly believe in, crying? No, I believe in that very next day. I believe that with every tear and breakdown there is beauty.

It could be as simple as waiting on line at Starbucks, waiting for your favorite iced latte, and your order just not being right. It could be a young student riding with so much pressure on her back and no one to turn to. Or it could even be something more, like death or heartbreak. All of these scenarios can all be gambled up to add up to one huge breakdown. But I have learned to love those breakdowns.

I appreciate those nights when you cry yourself to sleep over every little piece of your life, and stay awake over analyzing it all. Those endless questions and flashbacks of your day are done with as soon as that alarm goes off for your next day. I believe in getting up that next morning and putting on that favorite outfit of yours and feeling like a champ. That’s what I like to call an uphill struggle and I believe in those.

That very next day is your chance to turn it all around and flip the cards back to your way. It’s the lessons that you learned that night as you tossed and turned that makes that next day, “your day.” Maybe it’s just by saying your Starbucks order a little clearer. Maybe it’s by pulling aside a good friend and letting them know you need some help. Or maybe it’s just by saying what’s in your heart to someone. These are the little steps to moving forward that make your days beautiful because you’re in control of them now. None of these steps forward would be made with out that breakdown the night before.

It’s those tears at night that push you into making your tomorrow a better day. Those tears allowed you to let it all out and forced you to make your future a place you want to be. That next day is your chance to turn it all around and make yourself happy. I believe in that next day because it moves us to who we want to become for our futures.