Andrew - Kent, Washington
Themes: prejudice

When was the last time you saw someone for the very first time, met them, and their personality was exactly what you thought it was? Probably never, right? Think about, how many times in one day do you hear “oh, he’s dumb”, or “she’s so not cool”, or “why would they even where that?” Now-a-days, people always assume that they know things about others, but really, don’t have a single clue about ones personal life, or their past.

I believe that people today stereotype others everyday of their life and can’t walk into a store, and consider another’s past, present, or future without stereotyping them.

Every time you stereotype someone, you’re wrong. No questions asked. Then you realize you are wrong, and you either feel bad, or don’t care (at least think you don’t care). It’s those that do care that can identify their mistake, and hopefully reconsider their action.

When you stereotype someone, and it gets out to them, it could change their personality. They might figure that no one likes them, so they don’t need to care about their life.

Think of how they feel. Put yourself into their shoes. Imagine you have to move, and live 1,000 miles from home. You go to your new high school, and everyone in your new classes is stereotyping you. Imagine how you would get, all sweaty and your face would turn red. I guarantee that you hate that feeling. People need to consider how others feel when you stereotype them.

Now’s the time for people to realize it’s wrong to stereotype, and often, it can backfire. Let’s say you say something bad about that guy in your math class. You tell your friends, and with how quickly things get around, that guy finds out. Then you find out that he found out, and there is now a little grudge between you two. Everyone knows that you said “it”, and think you should apologize or something. But you’re too cool to do that, and now, all your friends, and others, think you’re the biggest gerk in school. That one little thing you stereotyped about that guy has now taken a dramatic turn, and stabbed you right in your back.

You know it, heck, I even know it, we stereotype every time we see a new face. Don’t even lie. I’m here to say that people need take a minute, even a second, to think of what they are about to say about someone. That one second may change their life and even yours.