Giving Back

Kimberly - Dalton, Georgia

I believe in giving back to my community whenever possible. There are several reasons I find time and ways to help out. A few are the times people have helped me, how it makes me feel, and what it might mean to one I have helped.

Life isn’t always easy. I have been through very rough times, such as being divorced, raising children as a single parent, and being kidnapped. During each of these things there were times I felt like giving up, but fortunately for me, I have been blessed with wonderful friends and family. I have shoulders to cry on, people to rely on, and those who rely on me.

The greatest thing I give to my community is my time. It is very empowering being called on to get donations for Secret Santa, The Family Crisis Center, or a children’s summer camp, but nothing compares to face to face time. When I am around the women and children at the Crisis Center having a good time, I feel very blessed.

I know that the small things I do are appreciated and will be passed on. The children will see me happy to help and will help other when they are older. The women will see me as a happy, helping friend and in turn pass their smile onto to someone else.

Helping each other is the only way to make it through our time here. We should always treat others the way we want to be treated. Hold a door, feed a family, buy a toy are all ways I can help in my community. I don’t have to do something big-I just have to do something.