When You Wish Upon a Star

Amanda - Wyckoff, New Jersey

I believe in dreaming. Without dreams, what is there to live for? They work as a foundation to build your life upon and they serve as future goals. When I was younger, my summer trips to Disney World were always the highlight of my year. This magical place did not only provide a fun vacation spot, but it also taught me that dreams really do come true. As a senior in high school, dreams are on the top of my list. Each night I find myself dreaming about graduation, college and my future life. My dream in life is to become a nurse.

As long as I can remember, I knew that nursing was my ideal career choice. Not only do I enjoy the sciences, but I also love people. Whenever I can help someone through a random act of kindness, my day feels complete. For that reason, I am so eager to have an occupation where I can feel satisfied and helpful to complete strangers each day. Just knowing that you made an impact on someone’s life is the most rewarding gift that anyone can receive.

I fully understand that I am not even close to becoming a nurse in any way, but I know I will be successful because that is my dream. The knowledge and skills will come with time and I do not want to hastily wish away the present. I want to enjoy the rest of my senior year and the many fun-filled years of college to follow. So for now, I will live by the wise words of Jiminy Cricket; “when you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your hearth desires, will come to you” and know that dreams really do come true.