Second chances

James - Howell, Michigan

I believe in second chances. I haven’t always been like that, just up until last year at my sister’s graduation party. It was a nice day to party with family and friends. I got the idea that I would have more fun if I started drinking. The drinking lead to something worse, it led me to believe that trying to do a front flip in to the pool was a great idea. I didn’t quite do a flip; instead I fell in and hit my head on the side of the pool. I submerged to the bottom and was unconscious.

I woke up on the way to the hospital hearing my parents panicking on whether or not they thought I was going to wake up. After I heard that I fell back asleep. The next time I woke up the doctors were debating if they wanted to take me to surgery, because I guess there was blood leaking from my head. (Now the last time I checked that was not normal). After what felt like forever the doctor took me to surgery to check up on me. I had no idea what was going to happen to me. I would have hoped that my life hadn’t come to an end after one night of partying. One day I woke up to my family sitting in the hospital room happy to have seen me awake. I proceeded to wonder why they looked at me like it had been week since I saw them. It just so happened to turn out that the doctors didn’t think I was going to wake up due to the alcohol level I consumed and the fact that I had hit my head pretty hard that night. In this case since I woke up and didn’t die I was given a second chance at life.

Another thing happened a few months after that incident that made my belief in second chances much stronger than it was before. My best friend and I were on our way to work when two men came and carjacked us. My friend refused to obey with the men so we were beaten up and then they took the car. There I was again back in the hospital, but I knew this time that is wasn’t so bad for me. My friend on the other hand was banged up badly. I didn’t know what the outcome was going to be. The next day the hospital released us to go home. To this day my friend and I will not put up a fight when we know the right and safe thing to do.

After these situations I strongly believe in second chances because if I wasn’t given a second chance I wouldn’t know where I would be right now. Since I got the opportunity for a second chance I reflect my experiences on everyone I know and advise them not to do the same. I have noticed that after those experiences I value the simple things in life, like the friends I used to take for granted. I appreciate my family more when before I treated them badly. I enjoy the little things in life more now since I realized that my life could end at any moment. I feel like I haven’t solved all of my life tasks so I try to accomplish as much as I can before my time on earth has come to an end.

This is why I believe in second chances.