Power

Alison - Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

POWER

Awful things happen to people every hour, every minute, and every second of everyday. These terrible things that occur can change people or affect them in such a way that they don’t know how to deal with what happened. Some lock themselves up, hiding from the world, unable to face reality. Others bury themselves in work. There are thousands of ways people can deal with their problems, but I believe there is only one way to overcome the horrible things that happen everyday. I believe talking is the best way to heal the body, heart, and soul when a person is upset.

Me mom passed away the summer of 2007. My whole family was in distress because we were unprepared for such a horrible thing to happen. We all handled it differently, or the same, depending on how you look at it. I started working three part-time jobs to avoid being at home, my dad put up a wall, my grandma would not talk to anyone, and my aunt was not ready to see any of us. None of us felt better about what had happened or about ourselves through the use of our techniques. The passing of my mother only weighed down on us more.

The weight of the loss led me to have a breakdown; I cracked. I had no idea what to do with myself. Instead of avoiding things through work, I became depressed. I quit one of my jobs and when I wasn’t working, I wasn’t doing anything. I remember how I used to just sit and stare asking myself why it had to be like this. I was in a place I had never been before, and I was confused. So, I vented because I couldn’t hold it in anymore. I talked to my dad, I cried to him, and he cried and talked with me. He talked to my aunt, who talked to her mother, my grandmother. Our family had never been closer, and I believe that my mother was and still is the person that holds us together. I believe in the unconditional love that my family has for each other, my mother, and that my mother has for all of us.

My family and I all tested different ways to help us recover from what happened. Although we will never be ‘over’ it, we now know, more than ever, that we have each other to talk to at any hour, any minute, or any second, of any day. Talking was and still is the only thing that helps us work through our emotions. Talking is what gets us through each day. I believe talking is the strongest power a person has. I believe in talking.