A Hug Says it All

Molly - Salem, Massachusetts

I believe in siblings. It is an amazing blood and love bond that is impossible to interpret or understand.

Quite too often I take my 9 year-old brother, Jackson, for granted. Instead of smiling at him when I get in to the car from school, I either ignore him or tell him to be quiet. I remember a time in my life when it was just my mom my dad and me and I craved for someone to play with. I was so desperate for a sibling that I named my baby doll Brother, in honor of my deep desire.

Once Jackson was born I was happy, he would never cry when I would hold him and he always was smiling and cooing. Soon that blissful innocence turned to jealousy. Everywhere we went people would stop, and come over and laugh at the cute fat baby. I can recall thinking, “ This is not what I bargained for.”

As time passed Jackson grew up some and began to talk. Now when he opened his mouth I was no longer jealous, but extremely annoyed. I became more independent as well, I started to have sleepovers, and hang out with my friends more often. My 1st sleepover was at my neighbor’s house across the street. When my brother noticed me gone he become upset that I was not there with him. So he requested to go across the street and see me. My mother had no objection to that if it would calm her screaming one year old down.

Although I was frustrated at first that my sleepover was being interrupted, when my brother hugged me and simply said, “I missed you,” I had never felt so loved in my whole life.

I believe that Jackson and I represent the ideal pair of siblings mostly because our relationship is nowhere near to perfect we fight constantly and we are always teasing on another. Deep down each of us cares immensely for one another and some times it is difficult to express our feelings, but at the end of the day, I think we both know how the other feels.