Gabriela - Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Themes: golden rule

I believe that beauty in not is our bodies but in our souls. In the generation I’m living the physical appearance is what matters. People classify each other by the things they have and how they look. We all are victims of this classification; in many occasions we are left out if we don’t follow the pattern society has created. The consequences of this external judge can lead people to awful things, for example having a bad self steam, believing that their lives are not worth living. There are cases in which young people think of committing suicide. Beauty is not everything; there a lot of people that have external beauty, but their souls are rotted and full of bad feelings. (God gave us our souls not because it maintains us alive but because he wanted us to take care of it and at the time of our death the soul is the only one that is going to reach that special place he has for us, the only way we could make it is having a clean and peaceful soul.)

When I was little I was rejected by some girls because I was chubby. These girls were always making fun of me; I felt really sad for that period in my life. Time passed and I grew up and I wasn’t the chubby girl anymore, but I never forgot how those girls were so mean to me. A lot of things were going through my mind, like I was not good in enough to fit in with my classmates. I learn something really important about this experience, that judging others by their physical is not right.

We have to accept people the way they are no matter what they look like, we actually can be impressed by the beautiful things people can teach us, and we only have one life to see it. The anorexia is common in teens these days, we are hypnotized by all the things we watch on the television ,the typical perfect skinny, tall, blue eyed top model, we get obsessed by looking alike. In the past, skinny girls were not famous as they are today.

Everything changes through time, but this doesn’t mean that we also have to change our way of thinking and acting. I like having my own way of thinking that makes me feel awake and not asleep like some people that live in a fantasy world. We have to think straight ;( not only because society thinks something is right, it is, because is not.) The thought of becoming anorexic is crazy. This can happen because people don’t have a strong personality or because society has rejected them for the way they look. Pretending to be someone else is foolish, and then we are going to realize that we can’t be ourselves anymore.

For me, loving God brings beauty to my soul. The second step is to love ourselves no matter the way we look or the things society thinks of us, loving us makes us strong. We can be who we want to, without anyone making us believe that we are less than anyone. The external beauty won’t last forever, as time passes we get wrinkled, weak, and sick, the next thing we know is that we are not part of this world anymore; the soul is the only thing left. I don’t want to go back to my memories and think that I only spent time with people that thought they were better than other just because of the way the look. I want to meet people with beautiful hearts and souls, because I know those people will have a special place in my heart for the rest of my life. Treat people the way we want to be treated ourselves. Acceptance is a human necessity we all need people to love us and tell us how amazing we are. Peace and Love!