Living With Regret

Kat - Wyckoff, New Jersey

Nobody’s perfect. So then why do people try to accomplish everything they do correctly the first time? Day to day, many people over analyze every move that they make, but there is one single concept that every person must be aware of: life is full of mistakes. This, I believe in, is living with regret.

About a week ago I was driving home from the dentist when I was feeling quite hungry. On the way home, I was debating whether I should stop and cure my craving for Mexican food or not. When I reached the stop sign, I pondered for a moment, and ended up concurring with stomach to make the left turn towards Taco Bell. A moment after I made the turn, I saw flashing lights in my rear view mirror. My heart stopped and I all of a sudden, so many things started running through my head, wondering what it was I had done wrong. The police officer came up to my window and asked to see my license and registration. After I handed him my information, he responded by saying, “You made an illegal left turn back there, and there were even two signs posted.” I just sat there in shock. I couldn’t believe I was getting my first ticket and even worse, two points added to my record.

Do I regret making that decision to get Taco Bell? Yes. Could I have gone straight home instead, and avoided the situation all together? Yes. Am I now $85 poorer after paying for the fee on my ticket? Yes. But you know what, I made a mistake, and I’m OK with that, life is full of them. One great aspect of making mistakes is learning from them. I now drive with much more caution and attention than I did before. Instead of kicking yourself in the butt after every wrong move you make, just accept it, and realize there are only more to come. I believe you should regret all that you want, because nobody’s perfect.