Just Like Smoothies

Caitlin - West Newbury, Massachusetts

I believe in laughter. I’ve always been the kind of girl who laughs all the time. I laugh when I’m happy, I laugh at jokes, and often I laugh at myself. I believe that laughter does make you happy. When I haven’t laughed for a while, the smile on my face doesn’t seem as real. Friends will come up to me and ask if something’s wrong.

One day when I was upset, my friend called me. She could have spoken only calm, comforting words, but instead she said things that she knew would make me laugh. I believe that laughter can help to ease pain in a way that words can’t. Laughter causes a different kind of happiness. You have to consider comforting words for them to make you happy, but laughter makes you happy in a way that at first, you don’t understand.

I believe in everyone’s laugh. I believe in laughing when you’re out of breath and it sounds all high pitched. I believe in laughing even when you’re eating a smoothie, so that if it gets all over you, you can laugh even more as it sprays over the table. I believe in snorting when you laugh and I believe in laughing as loud as you feel happy.

I believe that laughter isn’t all about you. Laughing is about going outside and seeing others more fully, as well as yourself. It’s one of our outside ways of expressing what’s inside: a way to share our happiness.

I believe that laughter is not to be underrated. Laughter is a gift given to you, but most importantly, one that you give to others. Laugh to bring a smile, laugh to bring back memories. What’s the fun of laughing all alone, with no one to share your happiness?

I believe that laughter is contagious. The best laughter is the kind that comes upon us when we are least expecting it. When anyone is laughing, it’s hard for me not to join in on their happiness. So, just smiling will be able to bring this unexpected laughter to someone else. Why not brighten someone else’s day while creating your own?

So laugh, laugh when you’re happy and when you need to light up someone’s day. Don’t laugh at others, but at yourself. Laugh to understand, laugh to smile, and laugh to wipe away a tear. Because without laughter, we have nothing to fill in those empty spaces in our life- the places we were born with so that we can discover how amazing nothing can be. So that’s why, in a way, laughter is everything. Just like smoothies are everything, just like smiles and birthday cake and singing out of key; because they bring us closer to everything, and to nothing. And only when we have nothing do we receive our true everything.

And please, don’t laugh that little giggle, that little ‘He-he, I’m so cute’ laugh. Laugh outright, laugh fully, and laugh only when you really mean it.