This I believe

meg - santaquin, Utah

For me, winning used to be everything and losing was like the end of the world. My biggest fear was losing. For about three years, I was playing on city league soccer team because I was too young to play for club or high school. Every season, we were either undefeated or ALMOST undefeated. It felt so amazing. Being able to say, “yeah, we were undefeated this season!” After about five straight seasons of being undefeated, I was too old to play for city league anymore.

I tried out for a club team and made it! I was really stoked and ready to play yet another, undefeated season. I hate to say it, but I was extremely cocky. I was ready to go out there and totally kick all of the other teams butts! To my dismay, we lost every game. I didn’t even know what to do. I was completely miserable and embarrassed. I refused to tell anyone about the outcome of my game, when they asked. I was very relieved when the season was over. It was the most miserable four months of my life.

A few months later, it was time to try out for high school soccer. Thanks to the last season, I wasn’t very confident anymore, and I wasn’t really sure if I was too excited for another season. Before high school tryouts, there were tryouts for a co-ed soccer team. I decided that I would tryout for the team, not thinking that I would actually make it, just because the same people who were judging these tryouts, would also be judging high school tryouts. Turns out, I made the team; and it interferred with the high school season, so I didn’t end up trying out for high school. Also, I found out that I was the only girl in the whole league.

Well, as the season flew by, we still hadn’t won any games, but I wasn’t miserable. Instead, I was putting my whole heart into every game, the whole time. Even when we were losing 4-0, I still tried my hardest and never let it get to me. I was having fun, and for once wasn’t out there to win.

I learned a lot that season. I learned, that the best thing that you can do is to never give up; and that’s what I believe. I believe that you should always do your best and never let the fear of losing, keep you from doing what you love. I learned that you can’t win them all, and that’s probably the most important lesson that I’ll ever learn.