Every Life Needs a Little Rain

Kendi - Lookout Mtn, Georgia

Every Life Needs Some Rain

I believe every life needs a little bit of rain every once in awhile to keep it fresh and alive. Flowers rely on the rain and without it they would die; it is a simple fact of nature. Similarly, I believe it is the same for every individual. We need rain to be beautiful, strong, and alive. Rain restores, renews, nurtures, and provides; but what is often forgotten is that rain also can hurt and cause damage.

I used to want my life to look a lot like summer. It would be warm, free, and full of laughter with no clouds in sight. For a long time this is how it was, I was carefree and thought life was all it could be. I had no idea that I was actually desperate for a little rain. Looking back I see the shallowness of my own life, faith, and personal strength. Everybody seems strong when life is easy, but it is during trials that our true man or woman is revealed.

Life was too good! It was time for a few showers, and they quickly rolled in as I learned that the biggest storms of the year typically occur in July and August when I am comfortably playing at the beach. The rain in my life came harder and faster then I ever expected or desired. In one moment the down fall began. I was diagnosed with a form of chronic nerve pain forcing my life to do a complete U-turn towards a direction I did not want to go. My dreams were gone and I was forced to reevaluate my life and goals. No longer was there any sun in sight, only dark clouds lay ahead as quickly I felt my hope dwindling. I didn’t believe I was strong enough to resist the stormI was going to drown alive.

Currently I view myself as a flower. I cannot say I fully appreciate the rain and the pain and suffering it brings; but like the flowers the rain only helps to bring out my innate beauty and strength, while refining my life. I am no longer the same girl who desired life to be the eternal summer. I am learning to respect and anticipate the seasons and weather changes life contains. It is only through these showers and potential downfalls that we experience real life. Life is not found, lived, or defined in times of summer. The beauty of life is found when we learn to appreciate and play in the rain!