Meaning I Love You

Ally - Wenham, Massachusetts
Themes: love

My friend Katie and I are close and have been friends since the fourth grade. One time she sent me an email that read ‘Yeah, so we should like definitely hang out sometime, xoxo love you, Katie’. Love was used in such a casual way, a way that I wasn’t used to seeing it. When I think of love I think of a special relationship between two people : a mother and a daughter, a husband and a wife, two close friends. Whenever my friends say I love you, I have to think about it. What did they really mean when they told me that? Sometimes, I see my friends giving other people food, and the other peoples response is “ I love you, Emma!” They talk about love as if it is a casual topic, something you can say to someone who gives you food.

I believe in love being meaningful, and only using that special word when you really mean it. The word love is used so often, but I believe that the actual meaning should be used sparingly. Because people use the word love so often it really dulls down the meaning. Because it is used in casual situations, it might not mean as much to the person receiving it. Sometimes saying I love you becomes a habit. Before I get off the phone with my parents, I always say I love you because that is the regular routine. I remember once I was talking to my mom on the phone, and she was really stressed about her work. She told me she loved me, then hung up quickly. Her I love you seemed rushed, and I was a little hurt. Minutes later she called back and told me how much she loved me, and I could tell she really meant it this time. I know it’s hard to always mean it when you say that you love someone, and I am still trying to mean it every time I say those words. I realize it is hard to break the tendency to say them.

My friend Katie has told me she loved me in the past, and I could tell that she meant it. Sometimes you may say things that you don’t mean at that moment. Just because I say I love you to my mom every time before we get off the phone doesn’t mean that I always mean it at that very second. That doesn’t mean that I don’t care about her, but at that time I maybe too busy with my life to think about loving her. So reader, I want you to think about the last time you said ‘I love you’ to someone. Did you mean it? If there is one thing I believe it is this, when you say I love you believe in it.