A Remedy for Scrooge

Rebecca - Magnolia, Arkansas

I believe in spending holidays with family. Holidays were meant to be filled with family, especially on Christmas. Being with family over the holidays brings feelings of joy, comfort, and fullness.

The first sensation I get over the holidays is joy. I get a strong feeling of pleasure when I am with my family over Christmas break, especially at night when we’re sitting in the living room around the fireplace, telling stories and drinking hot chocolate. There is nothing more joyous than being with family over the holidays. Everyone should have family to spend the holidays with, even if the only family member is a pet. It’s still family, and nothing is more important than family.

Comfort is the next feeling I experience over the holidays. Being with my parents and sister over the holidays gives me a sensation of comfort that is hard to re-create any other time of the year. Just the feeling obtained when we’re sitting in the living room laughing and having a great time is something that I’m proud to have. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a family to spend the holidays with. I feel very fortunate to have a family to come home to and to celebrate with. I believe that Scrooge-like people are grumpy over the holidays because they do not have anyone to spend their time with.

The final sensation I feel is a sense of fullness. I love the feeling I get when I come home after a hard day’s work to a home-cooked meal and to people who are happy to see me. When I’m with my family over the holidays, I get the feeling that I have everything I need, and everything that means the most to me is right there with me. Some people think if they have a lot of money and everything money can buy, they’re happy and there is nothing that can change that feeling. This is not true. Money can’t hug a person after a hard day or wipe tears away after a loss. It is only money and can only do so much. Money can’t give the same feeling of fullness that family and friends can bring to the holidays. The feeling of fullness that is in my heart and makes me feel warm all over comes from being with my family over the holidays, and nothing will ever change that feeling.

The lack of family can create a bah-humbug spirit in any person during the holidays. Just like Ebenezer Scrooge, the remedy to these pessimistic views can be found at any warm fire surrounded by the unconditional love that is unique to every family. Family is the key to enjoying this wonderful time of year. I believe that spending time with family during the holidays is important because no one wants to be the next Ebenezer Scrooge.